Spinach Sausage Lasagna
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Provided by: Danielle Walker
- 1/2 lb uncooked Italian sausage
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 1/4 cups Basic Nut Cheese (recipe follows)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 10 Crepes , cut into 2 inch wide strips, scraps reserved
Ingredients Print Recipe
2. Remove the casings and crumble the sausage into a skillet. Brown over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes, until cooked through. Remove the sausage and leave the juices in the pan. Combine sausage with the Marinara Sauce in a bowl.
3. Place the spinach in the same skillet and sautÚ over medium heat until wilted, about 5 mins.
4. Place the Nut Cheese (recipe below), salt, pepper, parsley, and basil in a bowl and mix.
5. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the sauce into the bottom of an 8 x 11 inch baking dish.
6. Layer crepe strips on top of it, overlapping them ever so slightly so the fillings don't seep through the cracks. If there are gaps around the edges of the dish, fill them in with the reserved Crepe scraps.
7. Next, gently spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the surface. Sprinkle 1/2 of the spinach over it, then top with 1/3 of the meat sauce.
8. Repeat in this order: Noodles, cheese, spinach and meat sauce. Finish by sprinkling the remaining ╝ cup of nut cheese over the top.
9. Bake uncovered for 20 to 30 mins, until the corners are bubbling. Let sit for 10- 15 mins before serving.
For Nut Cheese
1 cup raw blanched almonds, raw cashews or raw macadamia nuts
1/2 tsp sea salt, plus a pinch for soaking
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp lemon juice
1. Place the nuts in a large bowl and fill with filtered water and a pinch of salt. Cover and soak the almonds for 24 hours, cashews or macadamia nuts for 6.
2. Drain the nuts and rinse thoroughly, until the water runs clear.
3. Place the nuts in a food processor or high-speed blender with the remaining ingredients.
4. Process until smooth and the mixture resembles ricotta cheese. Store in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Recipes from Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well and Feel Great, by Danielle Walker