Soda Pop Birthday Cake
- Servings: Makes two 13" x 9" x 1? jelly roll baking pans
- Provided by: Kyla Eaglesham
- 1/2 cup cola
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chocolate sauce * or raspberry jam thinned with liqueur (or water)
Ingredients Print Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 350° F and line two 13" x 9" x 1? baking sheets.
2. Begin by combining the cola, oil, butter and cocoa powder in a saucepan over medium heat. When it comes to a simmer, mix well and turn stove off.
3. Mix dry ingredients together (sugar, flour and baking soda), add mixture from saucepan and mix well, by hand. Don't over beat.
4. In a separate small bowl lightly beat the eggs and buttermilk together, then add them to the other ingredients and combine batter well by hand, but again, do not over beat.
5. Pour into a greased jelly roll baking pan and bake at 350F° for approximately 8 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake.
6. While hot, spread each cake with ½ cup chocolate sauce on each cake. Using a tea towel, roll each cake tightly using the parchment to keep it in place. Freeze cakes overnight.
Butter Cream Icing
- 1 cup room temperature butter
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Combine ingredients and mix with paddle for 5 minutes.
- Cover cake with icing while frozen, and decorate as desired.
Combine ingredients and mix with paddle for 5 minutes.
Cover cake with icing while frozen, and decorate as desired.