Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry
- Servings: 6
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Provided by: Tom Filippou
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 pkg (430 g) PC Blue Menu Air Chilled Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts (about 430 g), cut in chunks
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) minced ginger root
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 carrot, cut in chunks
- 4 tsp (20 mL) curry powder
- 1 pkg (900 mL) PC Blue Menu Chicken Broth
- 1 pkg (300 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) honey
Ingredients Print Recipe
1. In large saucepan, heat half of oil over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour. Add to pan; cook until browned, about 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Discard remaining flour.
2. Add remaining oil to pan; cook onions, ginger and garlic over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes or until softened. Add sweet potato, carrot and curry powder; stir to coat. Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes and carrots are almost tender. Stir in chicken; simmer another 5 to 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are easily pierced with a fork.
3. Stir in spinach and honey; cook until heated through. Serve with brown rice, if desired.
Tip: To easily peel, ginger root, scrape the skin away with tip of a spoon.
Per serving: 330 calories, fat 6 g (of which 1.5 g is saturated), sodium 250 mg, carbohydrate 45 g, fibre 6 g, protein 23 g
High in fibre, low in saturated fat, excellent source of Vitamin A, excellent source of Vitamin C, source of iron