Braised Chicken and Tomatillo Tostadas
- Provided by: Chef Cory Vitiello
- 6 tomatillos, husked and halved
- 2 jalapenos, halved and seeds removed
- 3 T Extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- 1 large Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 - 4inch fried tortillas
Ingredients Print Recipe
In a large shallow sided pot, heat the oil over high heat. Add the tomatillos, jalapenos and chicken thighs, taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Brown each on both sides.
Add salt, onion, garlic, lime juice and chicken stock.
Cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hour, or until the chicken is falling off the bone and the tomatillos have fully broken down. You may need to add more stock if the pan dries out too much.
Carefully remove the chicken from the pan. Turn the remaining mixture to medium-high heat and reduce until most of the liquid has evaporated. It should be quite wet, but not so much that liquid is pooling in the bottom of the pan.
Pull the chicken meat from the bone and add it back to the mixture in the pan along with the chopped cilantro.
Serve with fried tortillas while still warm.
Garnish with sliced avocado, shaved red onion, cilantro leaves, sour cream, lime wedges.