Steven and Chris Episodes
Got Your Bug Out Bag?
Frugalista Amrita Singh swears she isn't an alarmist, but she does believe in keeping a bug out bag (a.k.a. an evacuation kit) packed and on the ready. This is a frugal activity that could prove priceless if the need ever arises.
Your kit should include enough supplies to last you over a 72-hour period, including items such as water, clothing, first aid supplies and tools. To help you along with what to pack, Amrita's prepared a printable checklist of suggestions, which you can also read below.
- Easy for you to carry
- Attach reflective tape on the outside
- Line it with a garbage bag to make it waterproof
- Experts say you should pack 1 - 3 litres per person / per day
- Include a water bottle with a filtration system
- One change of clothing
- Sturdy shoes and a few pairs of socks
- Space blanket to keep warm and/or cool
- Garbage bags as makeshift rain poncho
- DVD/CD to be used as a signaling mirror
- Non-perishable items like granola bars, energy bars, apple sauce, etc.
- Swiss army knife
- Multi-bit screwdriver
- Waterproof matches
- Hand-crank flashlight
- Hand-crank FM radio
- Make your own first aid kit
- Baby wipes
- Photocopies of important documents (i.e. passport, birth certificate, insurance papers)
- Deck of cards
- Maps of city streets
- List of important phone numbers
Printable Bug Out Bag Checklist: Download