Steven and Chris Episodes
Adding Bold Touches to a Neutral Space
Designer Trish Johnston says it's time to banish those boring neutrals! Here are her tips and tricks for going bold.
1. Don't be Afraid of the Dark. Dark walls provide huge impact. If you don't want to paint the whole room, try one wall. It will immediately give the space a strong focal point.
2. Go for Texture. Introduce multiple different textures into a space to create a layered cozy feel.
3. Embrace Bold Prints. Try something big and bold on a drape or an upholstered chair. Or, find throw cushions with bold print for big impact.
4. Think Scale and Colour Thread. - Go for prints with a similar scale and colour thread to make the room feel cohesive but very interesting.
5. Choose Your Biggest Moment. Whether it's with an amazing light fixture or area rug, start with one 'big moment' and build the room around it. The key is to allow that piece to shine and not be competing with other elements in the room.
Featured: wall color Phillip Jeffries Grasscloth in Charcoal, available through Crown Wallpaper + Fabrics; Juju Feather Headress on wall, Snob; light fixture, Elte; sofa, Ikea; coffee table, Urban Barn; side chair, Crate and Barrel; accent table, Crate and Barrel; pillows on floor, Crate and Barrel; pillows on sofa, Monroe pillow, Noah pillow, Pelliccia pillow, patterned pillow, Elte 10. Pillow on Side Chair, Crate & Barrel; Kilim rug, West Elm; books and items on coffee table, designer's own.