This season, the mini skirt is out (sigh of relief for most of us) and longer hemlines are in! Here's how to wear a floor-length skirt without looking frumpy.
Here are her tips for wearing longer skirts in style:
- Don't be afraid of a bold print in a full skirt. Combat the bold pattern with accessories and pieces in neutral, which actually tone down the print of the skirt and make it more wearable.
- You're covering up more leg, so you want to show more skin on top -- a v-neck, a sleeveless shirt, etc.
- When you're petite you don't want to be overwhelmed by a huge skirt. If you're going to go below the knee make sure it's a little higher-waisted so you're not giving up any height. If you want to go for an ankle skimming skirt, wear it a little lower around your hips so it'll make your torso and legs look longer.
- Keep jacket hems at your hip or natural waistline. Any longer and they could end up looking dowdy.
- A chunky heel looks great with a longer skirt during the day to balance out the look.
- With a night look and thin fabric skirt, opt for strappy heels.
- With a fuller pleated skirt, one of the cutest ways to wear it is with a button down shirt - tucked in and belted! Make sure you're showing off your waistline since the skirt is so full.
- Don't be afraid to use a hat when you're wearing a longer skirt, especially one that's a little fuller. It'll balance out your look from head to toe.
- Don't wear flats with a longer pencil skirt or something fitted. Only wear flats with a skirt that's flowy.
- Don't be afraid to take a long skirt and make it edgy. Layer on a cardigan, long, chunky necklaces and wedges.
- To make a "beachy" skirt city chic, add utilitarian accessories like a canvas jacket and cargo bag.
- You don't need to wear a super short mini skirt to go out at night. It's actually really on trend be lady-like and demure. Draw attention with an asymmetrical hemline or flowy, long layers and put away the chunky daytime wedges.
- For an evening look straight off the runways and Hollywood, take a taffeta evening skirt, pair it with a basic white t-shirt, and add a color-blocked clutch.
Special thanks to TJ Maxx: