Essential oils have been around for centuries, but you've probably never thought about adding them to your beauty routine. Here's how to make sense of these scented oils.
What exactly are essential oils?
"Essential oils are really the essence of a botanical. So, lavender, peppermint, jasmine, anything that grows in nature is boiled down and the essence of it becomes the essential oil," Rachel explains.
She says the key is to choose oil based on what it does, not just what it smells like.
- Helps with focus
- Provides balance
- Makes you feel happy
- 7 drops of your favorite oil
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite carrier oil (jojoba oil, grape seed oil, almond oil, castor oil)
- 18-20 drops of your favorite oils
- 1 ounce of water
- Combine in a spray bottle. Shake every time you use it.
- If you have oily hair, try adding about four drops of tea tree oil.
- If you struggle with dandruff, try adding about four drops of geranium oil.
- If you're in need of a little invigoration, and you're trying to wake up, try taking three drops of peppermint oil and three drops of rosemary. (Some people believe rosemary oil by itself will promote hair growth.)
- If you feel like your hair is undernourished and looking a little bit dry. You can try adding about 4-5 drops of either lavender or jasmine essential oil.
"The most important thing to remember about experimenting with essential oils is never ingest them and don't overdo it. A little bit at a time is much more effective," Rachel says.
For more information:
The Upper Hand Salon