Some say beauty comes from the inside out. If so, it's more important than ever to maintain good nutrition.
At age 40, Tosca Reno tipped the scales at more than 200 pounds. Now, at age 51, Reno has maintained an 80-pound weight loss for more than a decade. The secret? The choices she makes before she puts food in her mouth.
"I don't count calories -- with Eating Clean and what we say in "Your Best Body Now" is eat more, weigh less, feel fantastic," say Reno.
She adds, "About 10% of my efforts are devoted to exercise. It doesn't sound like very much, but it's important to understand that the bulk of it is food. So, 80% is nutrition, 10% is training and 10% is genetics."
Here are some of her rules to live by:
- Eat well-balanced meals of lean protein (white meat, fish, eggs, Greek yogurt, natural nut butters) and complex carbohydrates (fruits, veggies, whole grains) in the right portion sizes (enough to satisfy, but not over-fill).
- Eat like a king at breakfast. Never skip!
- Eat every three hours. This includes meals and between-meal snacks.
- Lunch suggestion: two cups of mixed salad greens, five ounces of water-packed tuna and a spritz of avocado oil and lemon juice as dressing.
- Use your hands to measure portion sizes: two hands for veggies, one hand for protein, palm size for whole grains.
- For a late night snack, try a half a cup of cooked oatmeal.
- Look to avocado and asparagus for antioxidants in addition to berries.
- Try coconut oil as a healthy fat. Reno says it's good for heart health and lubricates from the inside out.
- Vitamin C is a must. Look to kiwi in addition to oranges. Sprouts also contain vitamin c, in addition to other beneficial minerals and enzymes.
- Anti-virals like kale, swiss chard, ginger and turmeric help fight off infection from the inside.
"Your Best Body Now" by Tosca Reno
Special thanks to Central Market. For more information visit www.centralmarket.com.