Do-It-Yourself Hair Color
One of the most popular ways women save money on their hair is by coloring at home. Here's how to avoid the pitfalls and end up with salon-similar results.
Owner of The Upper Hand salon, Rachel Gower, says about 35% of American women color their hair at home. Here are some tips:
The Upper Hand Salon
Don't go more than two shades lighter or darker
- This is a general hair rule and when you're doing the color yourself it's best to play it safe.
- Going more than two shades lighter or darker is best done by a professional.
Make sure that you get the right shade
- Work with the undertones of your skin. Cool skin tones go well with colors labeled beige or ash. Warm colors are usually given names such as golden or copper.
- When going blonde, look for a permanent color about two shades darker than you think you want to go, just to be on the safe side.
- When going brunette and don't have a ton of gray, try a semi-permanent rather than permanent color. This will allow the varying tones of your natural color to shine through.
- If you want luscious red locks, it's best to get a permanent shade of copper or auburn. In order to get the pigment intensity that red hair requires, you're going to need a permanent color.
Cover your gray the right way
- For those with plenty of gray, permanent colors are the way to go.
- To boost your color and completely cover gray, add ten drops of Gray Magic to every ounce of your color. It's a color additive that will help lift or darken stubborn gray hairs.
- Consider going lighter, so that gray is less obvious.
Moisturize and Maintain Your Color
- To ensure that your color remains brilliant, make sure to moisturize regularly. Color takes better to hydrated, healthy hair.
- To help prevent color from fading prematurely, only wash your hair every other day.
- Try to avoid heat styling tools as much as possible, to preserve the integrity of your hair. If you are going to use heat stylers, make sure to use a color and heat protectant (such as Kérastase's Chroma Thermique).
The Upper Hand Salon