Tofu Stuffed Pita
- Servings: 4
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Provided by: Chris Koetke
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu, sliced into 1/4" slices and patted dry
- 2 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (plus some additional to brush on the tofu slices before grilling)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced onion
- 1 Tablespoon dry oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large warm pita breads
- Garnishes for pita bread: sliced onion, sliced tomato, minced parsley, and soy-based tzatziki sauce (below)
Ingredients Print Recipe
1. Mix all ingredients except for the tofu.
2. Lay tofu slices on a sheet tray.
3. Brush one side of the tofu with the olive oil mixture
4. Turn the slices over and apply the remaining olive oil mixture to the slices. Let marinade in the refrigerator for 2-8 hours.
5. Brush the tofu slices with some additional olive oil. Place the tofu slices on a hot grill. Turn the slices over half way through the cooking process. The finished slices should have light brown marks and be very aromatic.
6. Serve inside a warm pita pocket with sliced onion, sliced tomato, minced parsley, and soy-based tzatziki sauce.
Soy-based Tzatziki Sauce
- 12 oz. soft silken tofu
- 2-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup grated cucumber, pressed between hands to remove excess moisture
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic (2 will be quite garlicky)
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Puree tofu in a blender until smooth.
2. Combine all ingredients.
3. Let marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.