Sweet Potato Orange Cupcakes
- Servings: 12
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Provided by: Chef Chris Koetke
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato flesh, mashed with a fork until smooth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 stick butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Sweet potato icing (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
Ingredients Print Recipe
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle, cream butter with brown sugar, sugar, and orange zest until lightened in color.
3. Add eggs to the mixer, beating well in between the addition of each egg.
4. Add flour and baking soda. Mix just until incorporated.
5. Add the sweet potato mixture and mix just until incorporated.
6. Pour into 12 lightly greased muffin tins. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for about 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.
7. Top with sweet potato frosting and chopped pecans. If you are not going to consume them within an hour or two, refrigerate until needed.
Sweet Potato Icing
½ cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
4 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons orange juice concentrate
1. In a mixer with the whisk attachment, mix cream cheese until very soft.
2. Add sweet potato and orange juice concentrate and mix until combined.
3. Add powdered sugar and mix until incorporated.
4. Refrigerate until needed.