Stuffed Baked Poblano Chilies
- Servings: 5
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Provided by: Chris Koetke
- 10 poblano chilies, rinsed
- 2 14 oz. cans pinto beans, well rinsed
- 3/4 lb. grated pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups chunky salsa (your favorite brand and as hot as you wish)
- 1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Lime wedges
Ingredients Print Recipe
1. Place the poblano chilies in a covered microwave proof dish. Microwave for about 6-8 minutes or until the chilies are softened. (Depending on the strength of the microwave, this may take longer.) Remove and let cool.
2. Cut the ends off the chilies. Discard the seeds from the inside. Dice the chile tops and reserve.
3. In a large bowl, combine diced chile tops, pinto beans, ½ pound of grated pepper jack cheese, and 1 cup of salsa.
4. Pour tomato sauce and remaining 1 cup of salsa in the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Mix together.
5. Fill the poblano chilies with the bean mixture and place them in the 9 x 13 baking dish so that they make 2 rows down the long side of the baking dish with the tips at the center of the dish and the open ends of the chilies prompted against the side.
6. When all the chilies are filled, cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350° F oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove foil and sprinkle with remaining ¼ pound of pepper jack cheese. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
7. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.