Rhubarb Custard Pie
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Provided by: Chef Chris Koetke
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Pie crust (recipe below)
Ingredients Print Recipe
2. Add sugar, milk, flour, and nutmeg to eggs.
3. Stir in rhubarb.
4. Roll out pie dough to cover the bottom on a pie tin. Be sure to leave some of the dough hanging over the edges.
5. Fill the pie with the rhubarb filling.
6. Roll out more pie dough and cut into ½-inch strips the size of the top of the pie. Lay the pieces on top of the pie to make a lattice by spacing the strips about ½-inch apart.
7. Crimp the edges of the pie to make an attractive edge.
8. Bake in a 400 degrees F oven for 50-60 minutes. If the edges start to brown too quickly, carefully cover them with foil.
9. Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into wedges.
Pie Dough (enough for 5 covered pies or 10 uncovered pies)
2 1/2 lbs flour
1 Tablespoon salt
1 1/2 lbs lard
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoons vinegar
1. Combine flour and salt. Add lard and cut it into the flour salt mixture using a pastry cutter or knives.
2. Combine eggs, sugar, vinegar and enough cold water to make 1 1/2 cups.
3. Combine liquid with flour/shortening mixture. Mix just enough to combine.
4. Form into 10 pieces of dough and refrigerate until needed.