North African Stew
- Servings: 10
- Difficulty: Easy
- Provided by: Chris Koetke
- 6 skinless chicken thighs cut into 2 inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- 2 cups carrot, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1 large eggplant (about 5 1/2 cups), peeled and cut into large dice
- 2 zucchini (about 3 1/2 cups), halved vertically and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 head cauliflower florets (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dried currants
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 32 oz can chicken or vegetable broth
Ingredients Print Recipe
2. Cover and cook on high heat for 8 1/2 hours.
3. Verify seasoning and serve over couscous.
Note: If a thicker stew is desired, place 5 cups of the stew into a blender and puree until smooth. Then, stir puree mixture into the stew.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons minced onion
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup couscous
3 Tablespoons minced green onion
1. In a medium sauce pot, sauté onion in butter until the onion is softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
2. Add broth and couscous. Bring to a boil, stir, cover, and remove from heat. Let steep for 5 minutes or until the couscous is softened.
3. Stir in green onions and serve.