Italian Gnocchi with Basil Arugula Pesto
- Servings: 4
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Provided by: Chef Chris Koetke
- 1 pound russet potatoes, washed and unpeeled
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced tomato
- 1 12 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan (make using a vegetable peeler)
- Basil Arugula Pesto (recipe below)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Ingredients Print Recipe
1. Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 30-40 minutes until fork tender. Peel potatoes and while hot put through a food mill or potato ricer, or press through a mesh strainer. Set aside.
2. Place potatoes, flour, egg, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, basil, and parsley in a mixer with the paddle attachment and mix until combined.
3. Place potato mixture out on a floured surface and knead a few times to verify a soft, but cohesive texture.
4. Divide dough in quarters, wrap in plastic and place in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes.
5. Working with one quarter of the gnocchi mixture at a time, place on a lightly floured surface. Roll to 18inches in length and cut into about 18, 1 inch pieces.
6. Roll each piece over the tines of a fork to create indentations.
7. In salted boiling water, cook gnocchi for 3 1/2 - 4min until pieces float. Remove from water and keep in a warm place while preparing the sauce.
8. To make the sauce, in a large sautÚ pan, sautÚ the diced tomato and artichoke hearts in butter just until they are hot. Add the hot gnocchi and the basil arugula pesto. Stir and cook for a few more minutes. Season with additional ╝ teaspoon of salt and ╝ teaspoon of black pepper. Sprinkle with parmesan shavings and serve.
*Find the basil arugula pesto recipe here: http://livewellnetwork.com/Lets-Dish/recipes/Basil-Arugula-Pesto/9286527