Gluten-Free Mushroom Crepe Tortes
- Servings: 4
- Provided by: Chris Koetke
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter (but not too hot)
Ingredients Print Recipe
2. Beat eggs until well mixed.
3. Add flour mixture and mix using a wire whisk until it is just incorporated. Add milk and mix until well combined. Add butter and whisk to stir in.
4. Heat a small sauté pan over moderate heat. Lightly coat with oil or additional butter. Pour a small amount of crepe batter, swirl the pan to spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan. Pour out any excess batter. Return the pan to the heat. When browned, turn over and finish cooking.
5. When cooked, remove crêpe from pan. Do not stack hot crêpes, but rather spread them out on a counter while they cool. This recipe should make 16 crepes.
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1 pound mushrooms, ground in a food processor until minced, but not pureed
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaf
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a large saute pan over moderate heat, sauté onions in butter until they are soft (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Add finely minced mushrooms, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Continue cooking until the mushrooms have released their water and the mixture has become dry and paste-like. This will take a good 10 minutes. 3. Remove from the saute pan and reserve.
*It is easiest to grind the mushrooms in a food processor. Be sure not to cut it too finely. It should be minced without being pureed.
1/2 cup and 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup and 2 Tablespoons grated aged cheddar cheese
1. Divide the mushroom mixture into 6 parts.
2. To make one torte, spread 1/6 of the mushroom mixture on a crepe. Sprinkle 3 Tablespoons each of cheddar and parmesan on top of the mushroom mixture.
3. Place another crepe on top of this. Repeat with another 1/6 of the mushroom mixture and 2 Tablespoons each of cheddar and parmesan.
4. Top with another crepe and repeat the mushroom mixture and 2 Tablespoons each of cheddar and parmesan one more time. Top with a crepe.
5. Sprinkle 3 Tablespoons each of parmesan and cheddar on top of the crepe.
6. Place the crepe torte on a greased baking sheet and then in a 400F oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes until it is hot.
7. Remove from the oven. Cut each torte into quarters. Serve 2 quarters per person along with a salad.