Let's Dish Episodes
Tempeh Burrito Filling
What is temphe? Chef Chris explains!
- 8 oz. tempeh cut into half inch cubes (this is approximately 120 pieces)
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 T. chile powder
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle powder (more if increased heat is desired)
- 1 1/2 c. water or stock
- 2 T. cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt (this amount may be more or less depending on the amount of salt in the chile powder)
- 3 T. tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 can (15 oz) cooked brown soy beans, drained
2. In a large sauté pan, lightly brown the tempeh in 1 1/2 T. olive oil over high heat. Remove from pan and reserve. Do not allow the tempeh to become too brown.
3. In the same saute pan over moderate heat, sauté the onions in the remaining olive oil until they are translucent and lightly brown.
4. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
5. Add chile and chipotle powders. Cook for just a few moments, or until you can smell the chile.
6. Immediately add the water or stock so that the chile and chipotle powders do not burn and become bitter.
7. Add remaining ingredients and the tempeh. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Taste for seasoning and serve wrapped in a burrito along with traditional accompaniments such as:
- Low-fat cheese
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Diced tomato
- Diced onion