Let's Dish Episodes
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Orange and Ginger
We're mashing up sweet potatoes with orange and ginger!
- 8 medium sweet potatoes (about 4 pounds)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1Tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons minced candied ginger
2. Pierce the potatoes with a fork. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 1-2 hours or until the potatoes are very tender.
3. Scoop the flesh into a bowl, discarding the skins. Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. The potatoes can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. (To serve, simply heat the sweet potatoes in the microwave.)
To serve the above sweet potato in an orange cup, follow the guidelines below:
1. Cut a sliver off of both ends of an orange. Then cut the orange in half. Scoop out most of the orange flesh so that only about 1/4 inch remains attached to the peel.
2. Place the orange halves on a baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degrees oven for 20 minutes until the orange is very hot and the edges well browned. This cooking step brings out the oils in the orange and makes it more flavorful and perfumed.
3. Remove from oven, fill with hot sweet potatoes and serve.
Nutritional Analysis: Cal: 166, T.Fat: 3gm, Sat F: 2gm, Chol: 8mg, Sod.: 115mg, T.Carb: 33gm, Fib: 3gm, Pro: 3gm