Let's Dish Episodes
Dry-Rubbed Barbecue Beef Shish Kebabs
Grilled beef shish kebabs marinated in a unique and tangy barbecue.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons finely minced lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chinese-style hot mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 6 (6-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
2. Seal the bag and squeeze to distribute the marinade; marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours (if time allows).
3. Remove the marinated chicken from the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to grilling to bring to room temperature (if time allows). Shake off the excess marinade, and season both sides with salt and pepper. Discard the marinade.
4. Preheat the grill to medium-high. Clean the grates with a stiff brush, then oil liberally to prevent sticking. (Note: To use a grill pan, preheat a lightly oiled grill pan to medium-high heat.)
5. Using tongs, place the breasts onto the hot oiled grill, and cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
6. Without turning the breasts, rotate them 90 degrees and continue cooking until seared and crusty on the outside, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes more; this will produce beautiful cross-hatch grill marks. Flip the breasts over, and repeat the process for the second side. Cook to an internal temperature of 160F.
7. Remove the breasts from the grill, and allow to rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
8. To serve, slice the breasts crosswise on a sharp bias, and fan the chicken breasts on the plate; garnish with chopped cilantro (if using), and serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis: Cals: 237, Tfat: 2gm, Sfat: 1gm, Chol: 99mg, Sod: 395mg, Carb: 14gm, Fib: Tr gm, Pro: 40gm
Dry-Rubbed Barbecue Beef Shish Kebabs
Basic Dry Rub:
- 1/4 (packed) cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chile powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Basic Dry Rub, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Asian sweet chili sauce (such as Mae Ploy")
- 3 (packed) tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds boneless beef sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus extra for oiling the grill
12 (8-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked for 30 minutes to 1 hour
1. For the Dry Rub: Whisk together all of the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl; use your fingers to break up the clumps of brown sugar. Store, tightly sealed in an airtight container, away from heat and light.*
2. For the Sauce: Whisk together all of the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Store, tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
3. For the Kebabs: Place the beef cubes in a large mixing bowl. Add the canola oil, and toss to evenly coat the meat. Add 4 tablespoons of the dry rub, and toss again to evenly coat the beef with the dry rub. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to overnight. (Note: The longer the dry rub is on the beef, the deeper and more intense the flavor will be.)
4. Preheat the grill to medium-high. Clean the grates with a stiff brush, then oil liberally to prevent sticking. (Note: To use a grill pan, preheat a lightly oiled grill pan to medium-high heat).
5. Thread 4 beef cubes onto each skewer, leaving a small amount of space between each. Grill until lightly charred on the outside but still quite pink on the inside, about 2 minutes per side (Note: The beef will be medium-rare. For medium, cook 3 minutes on each side; for medium well, cook 4 minutes on each side.)
6. Brush the kebabs thickly on both sides with barbecue sauce, and grill for about 10 to 20 seconds longer on each side. Transfer to a warm platter, and serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis: Cals: 387, Tfat: 23gm, Sfat: 9gm, Chol: 96mg, Sod: 578mg, Carb: 16gm, Fib: 1gm, Pro: 28gm