Let's Dish Episodes
Chicken Soup for the Week
Chef Chris shows us how to make chicken soup for the whole week!
- 5 pounds chicken thighs, skinless and trimmed of fat
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cups diced carrots
- 3 cups diced onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 6 1/2 quarts cold water
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
2. Remove the chicken from the pot and de-bone. Skim stock to remove all fat. Put the thigh meat back into the stock pot and serve or chill.
Nutritional Analysis: Cals: 125, Tfat: 3gm, Sfat: 1gm, Chol: 67mg, Sod: 357mg, Carb: 7gm, Fib: 2gm, Pro: 17gm
Change the flavor profile of the soup in the following ways:
Asian: Add 1 chopped baby bok choy, 1 cup chopped Chinese cabbage, etc, 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger, and 1 minced green onion. Simmer until tender.
Nutritional Analysis: Cals: 156, Tfat: 3gm, Sfat: 1gm, Chol: 67mg, Sod: 650mg, Carb: 13gm, Fib: 4gm, Pro: 19gm
Spicy Red Pepper: Add 1 12 oz diced roasted red peppers, 1 pinch dried oregano and 1 teaspoon hot sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Nutritional Analysis: Cals: 171, Tfat: 3gm, Sfat: 1gm, Chol: 67mg, Sod: 423mg, Carb: 18gm, Fib: 6gm, Pro: 19gm
Smoked Bean: Add1 15 oz can low-sodium rinsed beans and 2 slices sautéed turkey bacon. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Nutritional Analysis: Cals: 489, Tfat: 9gm, Sfat: 3gm, Chol: 92mg, Sod: 738mg, Carb: 61gm, Fib: 20gm, Pro: 42gm
Tomato Garbanzo: Add 1 15 oz.cup low sodium tomato sauce, 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans (well rinsed), 1/4 cup minced cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, and ½ teaspoon cumin. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Serves: 3. Nutritional Analysis: Cals: 388, Tfat: 7gm, Sfat: 1gm, Chol: 67mg, Sod: 386mg, Carb: 13gm, Fib: 7gm, Pro: 31gm
Cream of Chicken: 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, 3 Tablespoons butter, 5 Tablespoons flour, 2 cups skim milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Simmer chicken breast in 3 cups of chicken soup until cooked through.
2. In a small saucepan, cook butter and flour for several minutes over moderate heat while stirring.
3. Add milk and bring to a boil while stirring constantly with a whisk.
4. Stir the thickened white sauce into the chicken soup. Add salt and pepper and serve.*
Nutritional Analysis: Cals: 204, Tfat: 9gm, Sfat: 6gm, Chol: 52mg, Sod: 314mg, Carb: 13gm, Fib: TR gm, Pro: 16gm