Home with Lisa Quinn Episodes
New Uses for Old Things
Lisa Quinn challenges another designer to a repurpose duel.
Tips for Repurposing -- New Uses for Old Things:
- Consider the function you want rather than the item.
- Look for sources of inspiration online and in magazines
- Practice when you shop. Go down the aisle & mentally transform items that you like into something else.
- You can find great items to repurpose at salvage yards, 2nd hand stores, yard sales, antique stores, flea markets and your own home.
- Containers are always great for repurposing. Just about anything that's big enough can be used as a container. Cereal boxes can be used as magazine holders, and water containers can be used as plant holders.
- Use your dish rack to hold your cook books.
- Use old yogurt cartons as kids' cups. Have your kids decorate them too.
- Take an old dress and turn it into a pillow case.
- Shoe box can be turned into a box for a care package. You can also use shoe boxes as garage organizers.
- Repurposing is a great way to save money and good for the environment!