Beer Braised Pork Shoulder
- Servings: 3-4 pounds of pork
- Difficulty: Easy
- Provided by: Chef Ryan Scott
- 6 pounds pork shoulder/butt bone in
- 1 Granny Smith apple, quartered
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme
- 1 bunch of fresh rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups Pilsner or wheat beer
- 2 quarts chicken stock (or enough to cover meat by 1-inch)
Ingredients Print Recipe
Place the pork in a deep large heavy pot.
Put in the apples and onions.
Tie the herbs together with butcher twine.
Add to the pot. Using cheesecloth make a sachet with the peppercorns and coriander seeds.
Add to the pot. Add the vinegar, beer and enough chicken stock to cover the meat.
Cover with foil or tight fitting lid.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and bake for 8 hours.
Remove meat from the pot and strain the liquid to remove solids.
Shred the pork with a fork and set aside.
Refrigerate the liquid.
When chilled remove the fat from the top of the liquid.
Add the pork to the liquid.
Accompnaying Recipe: Beer Braised Pork Shoulder Sandwich