DIY Household Cleaners
Health and wellness expert Marian Bell shares how to make houshold cleaning products from ingredients you already have on hand. Her set of cleaning substitutions can not only save money but also cut down on the number of chemicals you bring into your home.
- If it's dark stain, like red wine, or if it's been there a while:
- Don't rub it in!
- Pour on hydrogen peroxide in a circular motion (about 1/4 cup for a hand-sized stain)
- Add a little water to dampen the spot
- Two minutes later, blot with a dry towel
- Then, gently rough up the tips of the carpet fibers
- If it's a light stain, like white wine or milk:
- Follow the same steps as above, using vinegar instead of hydrogen peroxide
- Pour 3 cups of steaming water into a heat-resistant bowl
- Add 1/4 cup vinegar (use straight from the bottle or boil it on the stove)
- Carefully set the filter screen in the bowl
- Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes
- Use a toothbrush to scrub away the last of the stains
Cleaner for Windows and Mirrors
- Mix equal parts water and vinegar into a spray bottle
Cutting Board Cleaner (Antibacterial Kitchen Soap)
- Squirt a few drops of dish soap into a small bowl (about 1 tbsp)
- Add 1 tsp vinegar
- Mix them together with a rag
- Scrub cutting board; allowing product time to get under the surface; rinse OR
- Scrub the cutting board clean under running water
For more information, visit marianbell.com.