DIY Natural Skin Savers for Summer
The great outdoors can be tough on our skin, but these DIY skin savers can help! Tamika Fletcher with Natural Resources Salon shows you how to mix up your own natural skincare and haircare concoctions, including sunscreen bars, natural bronzers and foot scrubs.
Natural Hair Highlighter
- 1 cup Chamomile tea
- 1/4 cup vodka or vinegar
- 1/2 fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup shea butter, cocoa butter or mango butter (or a mix of all three equal to 1 cup)
- 1 cup beeswax (can add an extra ounce or two if you want a thicker consistency, which leaves less lotion on the skin when used)
- 2 tablespoons (or more) of zinc oxide (available online or in many stores on the diaper aisle, just make sure it is pure zinc oxide)
- Optional: Vitamin E oil to preserve. (I added 1 tsp vitamin E oil for this recipe made with 1 cup of each ingredient)
- Optional: A few drops of vanilla or essential oil for scent (do not use citrus oils!)
Secret to Smooth Heels
- 1 cup milk
- Sugar or salt (either will work)
- Baby oil, sweet almond oil or coconut oil
- Pumice stone
- Stridex, found in the acne section of any drugstore
- Thick moisturizer
Monoi Skin Bronzing Oil
This is a rare oil that originated in the French Polynesia Tahiti. It's a base of coconut oil, but it's blended with Tahitian Tihari flowers, and that's where the oil comes from. It's special because the oil has been manufactured the same way for over 1,000 years. This can be used as a chemical free bronzer and moisturizer for the summer using Monoi.
Directions: Just use the oil as you would use any other tanning oil.
For more information visit Naturalresourcessalon.com.