Garlic-Crusted Sirloin Tip Roast with Mushroom Gravy
- Servings: 8
- Provided by: Kary Osmond
- 1 4 lb/2 kg beef sirloin tip oven roasts
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) kosher salt or salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
Ingredients Print Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) beef stock, (approx)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
Place roast on rack in roasting pan. In bowl, mash garlic with salt to form paste; stir in oil and pepper. Spread over roast.
Roast in 500°F (260°C) oven for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 275°F (140°C); roast until meat thermometer inserted into centre registers 140°F (60°C) for medium-rare, about 2 hours. Transfer to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand until temperature rises 5°F (3°C), about 10 minutes.
Mushroom Gravy: Meanwhile, skim fat from pan juices; scrape juices into glass measure. Add enough stock to make 2 cups (500 mL). Set aside.
In saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry onion, mushrooms, salt, pepper and thyme, stirring occasionally, until softened and no liquid remains, about 6 minutes.
Stir in reserved pan juice mixture; bring to boil. In small bowl, whisk flour with 1/4 cup (50 mL) water; stir into gravy and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.