Chicken in Spicy Spinach Sauce
- Servings: 4
- Provided by: Kary Osmond
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced gingerroot
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced seeded jalapeno peppers
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) mild curry paste
- 1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 lb (454 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garam masala
Ingredients Print Recipe
In deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and ginger, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add jalapeņo pepper, coriander and curry paste; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add spinach, tomato, stock and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add chicken; cook for 7 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Stir in garam masala.
Substitution: For a milder flavour, replace the jalapeņo pepper with 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped sweet green pepper.
Serve with basmati rice or flatbread and a side plate of sliced cucumber, and onion if desired, with a wedge of lemon or lime to refresh the palate and subdue the mild heat of the sauce.
cal 267, pro 30 g, total fat 13 g, sat. fat 13 g, carb 1 g, fiber 9 g, chol 3 mg, sodium 449 mg, calcium 9%, iron 14%, vit A 49%, vit C 42% , folate 29%