Braised Cabbage with Apples and Sausages
- Servings: 4
- Provided by: Kary Osmond
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 4 bratwurst sausages, (about 1-1/2 lb/750g)
- 2 red-skinned apples, cored and sliced
- 6 cups (1.5 L) shredded cabbage, (about one-quarter head)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) apple juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grainy mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
Ingredients Print Recipe
In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown sausages. Remove to plate.
Drain fat from pan. Add apples; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add to plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add cabbage, apple juice, mustard, caraway seeds, salt and pepper to pan; toss to coat well. Sprinkle with reserved cooked apples; top with browned sausages.
Cover and cook until cabbage and apples are tender and sausages are no longer pink inside, about 15 minutes.