Basmati Red Onion Pilaf
- Servings: 2
- Provided by: Kary Osmond
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 small red onions, cut in thin wedges
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) basmati rice or parboiled rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) toasted and halved cashews
- Fresh thyme sprigs, optional
Ingredients Print Recipe
In heavy saucepan, heat butter over medium heat; cook onion for 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in rice, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Pour in stock; bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid absorbed. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with cashews; garnish with thyme sprigs (if using).